WINCHESTER, Va. -- Ferrum College's men's tennis team dropped its season finale at Shenandoah University Sunday, April 28, falling 6-3 in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play at Lowry Tennis Courts.
Ferrum (4-14, 1-10 ODAC)
Shenandoah (4-11, 2-9 ODAC)
Shenandoah swept all three doubles matches to take a 3-0 lead, then picked up three singles wins at the top of the lineup. Kyler Apgar's 7-5, 6-4 win at #3 singles win over Marshal Ownby clinched the match for the Hornets. David Bishop, Jacob Glass and Houston Murphy won at #4-6 singles, respectively.
Bishop survived a three-set war with Brenton Bough at #4 singles. The freshman from Bassettm, Virginia, dropped the opening set 6-2 before tying the match at one set each with a 7-6 second set win (7-3 in the tie-breaker). In the the third set, a 10-point super tie-breaker was played, which Bishop won 10-7.
1. Darian Diaz (SUM) def. Riley Kern (FCM) 6-0, 6-2
2. Bryan Harris (SUM) def. Patrick Marsh (FCM) 6-4, 1-6, 1-0 (10-7)
3. Kyler Apgar (SUM) def. Marshall Ownby (FCM) 7-5, 6-4
4. David Bishop (FCM) def. Brenton Baugh (SUM) 2-6, 7-6 (7-3), 1-0 (10-7)
5. Jacob Glass (FCM) def. Kyle Denning (SUM) 6-1, 6-3
6. Houston Murphy (FCM) def. Nick Powers (SUM) 6-2, 6-4
1. Darian Diaz/Bryan Harris (SUM) def. Riley Kern/Patrick Marsh (FCM) 8-4
2. Brenton Baugh/Kyler Apgar (SUM) def. Jacob Glass/Houston Murphy (FCM) 8-5
3. Nick Powers/Kyle Denning (SUM) def. Marshall Ownby/David Bishop (FCM) 8-7 (7-5)
The Shenandoah match was the last of the season for Coach Rod Baker's team. The Panthers graduate four seniors this May, while five players are eligible to return for the 2019-20 season.